Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A little update from my journey...

Yeah, I know - it's been a long time...but things haven't exactly been peachy lately.  I am in the definition of LIMBO - still not eating and anxiously waiting for one of the potential surgeons to get back to me and say whether he can do this operation or not.  It's tough to feel like you are "stuck."  However, in my last yoga class, the teacher read this poem by Mary Oliver that really inspired me:


Wild Geese
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
       love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild gees, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting-
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.
I thought it was very nice.  I've also been experimenting with pastels lately.  I haven't finished it yet, but I started a simple still life of art supplies:
 This is what I've got so far:
 It's gotten difficult to be in the kitchen lately because my hunger pangs have been going through the roof.  However, I did end up making croissants and danishes for my family - which they loved.
 Making croissants might be the most labor-intensive thing I've ever done in the kitchen.  I'm not recommending trying these at home folks.  They are quite a chore!
Danishes were a TAD easier...but not by much!

Yup.  This is me getting chased by wild turkeys on my morning walk...
 And this is me dyeing my hair (slightly) red!  Because I needed a change and I'm too wimpy to get a tattoo.

I am hoping that this waiting-period will be relatively short.  But my medical history doesn't take two seconds to review!  I'm quite a complicated case, but I am hoping that the right surgeon will come along SOON and I will be able to eat...by the end of the summer...please!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets!

    I don't have access to facebook right now, but I was wondering whether you could send me your email because there are a lot of things I really want to share with you!

    My email address is:

    pratibhastar@yahoo.com

    and my address is:

    Pratibha Anand
    81 Cherry Hills Farm Drive
    Englewood, CO 80113

    I am in the hospital right now, but my mail is being forwarded to me.

    I miss you SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Your cooking and your art is TRULY amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I just found your blog and I'm so happy to be able to read it and hear about what's going on in your life. Your artwork (and cooking!) is amazing! I remember when we used to sit around Borders and look at cookbooks together. :-) I still think about you often and I'm praying that you will be able to EAT again so very soon!!

    Lots of love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete